Surviving remarkably well…

Hopefully we will soon be thriving.

This first week has seen the big boys start school here in Addis and the little boy repeatedly insist he isn’t little and therefore tall enough to join the big two! Each morning Pete walks J & S around the corner (at 7.40am) to where the carpool taxi picks them up along with 7 other kids from our area. They return about 4pm.

I am very grateful not to have to fight L back into the car at the school gates each day, but it is very weird not doing the school run twice a day after so many years and not seeing other parents at school each day.

From dropping the boys at the taxi, Pete heads down to the roundabout to squeeze into the minibus taxis to go to work. They are very efficient and only cost 10p a ride. By far the most cost effective way to travel.

Meanwhile L and I are working out what life looks like at home until we have our own regular things in the diary and until we are able to secure a day guard for our compound and a house worker. These things are expected so we are providing employment for locals but also essential to keep our house safe while we are out and help with the very labour intensive nature of life here.

Let me give you an example.

Meet our semi automatic twin tub.

She will be one of my best friends in a land of power cuts, very variable water pressure and dust, dust, dust. She can be filled with 15 kilos of washing and get the clothes clean in 35 mins. Amazing.

The downside is, I need to cart 12 buckets of water from the house out to her in order to wash a load and then rinse it, hoping the power has stayed on long enough to heat some more water after we’ve been through the bathroom first thing. After the wash, half the clothes are transferred into the spin side and then the other half before, before going back into the main tub to rinse and then back again to spin!!! The washing, filling the water filter tank with tap water to make drinking water, boiling kettle to do washing up (no hot water in kitchen) and washing my hair with the shower drip took about 5 hours of constant work the other morning! At the end of all this I realised the city water had been off and I had in fact been using up the back up water tank which had then run out. Oops! Fortunately, the water came back on that evening and replenished the tank.

However, enough sun to get all this washing dry is a glorious sight in rainy season.

5 Replies to “Surviving remarkably well…”

  1. Well done Katy! As proud of you as ever! Lovely to see Levi on his scooter. So many systems to get in place right now, including for the washing, but I’m sure it will become easier, especially when you have a house worker. Big love to you all

  2. Well done Katy!! This brings back such memories from our 2+years in Zanzibar, the heat, the water issues the back generator for the back up generator!! Much love and prayers xx

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *